History of the South Carolina Association of Nurse Anesthetists
The South Carolina Association of Nurse Anesthetists was founded to promote continuing education among CRNAs in South Carolina. The first meeting of the South Carolina Association of Nurse Anesthetists was held on April 14, 1951. It was attended by eleven Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists.

The first officers:

Mrs. Helen Arndt, President
Mrs. Mary Powell, Vice President
Mrs. Francis Hames, Secretary-Treasurer
Ms. Ida Holden, By-laws Chairman
Ms. Helen Caskey, By-laws Vice Chairman

The second meeting was held on May 27, 1951 with twelve Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists in attendance.

There are two Nurse Anesthesia programs in South Carolina. Mr. Everard Hicks began the first program in Charleston, S.C. at the Medical University in 1965. The first graduating class was March 2, 1967 and included Victor Warner, Nell Ward, Mary Ann Cone, Barbara Brown, Audrey Hall, Ruby Johnson, and Alta Sullivan.

The second program is in Columbia, S.C. Dr. Donald Harwood began it in March 1969 as an 18-month program. The school functioned as part of Richland Memorial Hospital, which remains the largest clinical site for the program today. The program is associated with the USC School of Medicine under the department of Pharmacology.

About

  • Donate to the PAC:
FacebookEmail